Ralph’s Sausage Gravy and Biscuits
- 8 ounces Bass Farm Sausage
- 2 tablespoons shortening or lard
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- dash cayenne pepper, optional
- Cook sausage in medium skillet over MEDIUM-LOW heat, stirring and breaking up with a spatula. With a slotted spoon, removed the browned crumbled sausage to a paper towel-lined plate. Add 2 tablespoons of shortening, vegetable oil, or lard to the drippings in the skillet. Add flour, stirring until blended and bubbling.
- Gradually add 1 1/2 cups milk; continue stirring and cooking until thickened and bubbly. Add the crumbled sausage. If too thick, add a little more milk.
- Taste and add salt and pepper. Stir in a dash of cayenne pepper, if desired.
- Serve over hot split and buttered biscuits. Serve sliced tomatoes or fresh fruit with these, or serve as part of a bigger breakfast.