- 1 pkg. Bass Farm Sausage Mild or Hot, broken into 1" pieces
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- 3 cups water or beef stock
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with Italian herbs and garlic, undrained
- 1 pkg. (9 or 10 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced quartered yellow squash
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Cook sausage and fennel in Dutch oven or large saucepan over MEDIUM-HIGH heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently.
- Stir in water, tomato sauce and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to LOW; cover. Simmer 10 minutes. Stir in tortellini and squash. Return to a boil over HIGH heat. Stir in basil, if desired. Reduce heat to MEDIUM-LOW; cook, covered, 6-8 minutes or just until pasta is tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top individual servings of soup with Parmesan cheese and parsley, if desired. Yields 8 servings.